Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Lounge Chair Road Trip No. 9: Highway 50: Eat at Pow Wow and Get Gas

Good morning. Tina here. 

We are taking a quick trip up Highway 50 to Pow Wow. This fun place was located in Phillips, which was named for Joseph Phillips Johnson, who also gave his name to the Johnson Cut-off, a wagon road in the mountains which followed some of the same area as Highway 50 does now.


Pow Wow was built in 1961 and burned down in 1980. There was a gift shop, cafe, cocktail lounge and a gas station.


The iconic and not-very-politically correct sign with an American Indian smoking a peace pipe really stood out.



Would like to have some of that chili this morning, it sounds good now that there is a chill in the air.


Pow Wow is gone, at the corner where it sat is the welcome sign for Sierra Ski Resort, once known as Sierra Ski Ranch.

That's it for today, I told you it was a quick trip!

2 comments:

Heidi Ann said...

Those signs for Pow Wow are great, and I loved seeing the pictures.
I do not remember it at all.
But I wish I could eat at Pow Wow Now.
I don't think I like the part about getting gas, though........

lorlore said...

Chill in the air is right!!! I was freezing this morn!! Would love some chili today!!! Thanks for the road trip!!!