Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Hand of Mary Constable


For years, I wanted to find this book by Paul Gallico. I finally found it on Ebay, if I remember correctly. In 1969, there was an ABC Movie of The Week based on this story. The title of the movie was Daughter Of The Mind. It starred Ray Milland, Don Murray, Gene Tierney and Pamelyn Ferdin. I LOVED that movie- I can't really explain why (luckily I don't have to!), but I just did. I always remembered the title of the book is was based on. And I don't think I even knew at the time that Paul Gallico also wrote Thomasina - another movie I loved. Well, this led to collecting his books years later - and they are many! The Silent Miaow, The Poseidon Adventure, The Snow Goose, the Mrs.'Arris series (one of which was made in to a movie starring Angela Lansbury, whom I ADORE!), and many others. So -just felt like sharing that. And you may add Gallico books to my list of collections!

1 comment:

Tina Dawn said...

This blog of yours reminds me so much of last season's cliff hanger, and this season's first episode of CSI (The original Las Vegas one). Sara Sidle was trapped under a car in the desert. She was put there by the notorious miniature killer, who turned out to be a woman! (Surprise surprise). The "lady" did a miniature of Sara under the car and her hand was sticking out and moving slightly and that is all you could see of her. Then of course in "real life" that is how Sara was in the desert. So I saw your little doll hand coming around the front of the book, and that is immediately what I thought of. Very timely, and I don't think you even watch the show. Go figure!