Saturday, October 13, 2007

"An the Goblins 'll Git You"


I found this old postcard in an antique shop, and with it's orange and black color, it made me think of Halloween, and reminded me of the James Whitcomb Riley poem Little Orphant Annie. Mind you, I'm writing this excerpt exactly as it is written and punctuated in the book I have (The Big Golden Book of Poetry pub. 1964):
"An' all us other childern, when the supper-things is done, We set around the kitchen fire an' has the mostest fun A-list'nin' to the witch-tales 'at Annie tells about, An' the Gobble-uns 'at git you ef you don't watch out!"
I put the card into a black frame, and added Susan Branch stickers to the outside, and now it serves as a Halloween decoration.
An' the Gobble-uns 'll git you
ef you
don't
watch
out!!

No comments: