Friday, October 19, 2007

Pumpkin Moonshine


I have loved Tasha Tudor's artwork and stories ever since I can remember. When we were little, I remember Mother reading to us at bedtime from A Little Princess ( a chapter or less each night), and I loved the Tasha Tudor illustrations in the edition she got from the library. Years later, I started collecting Tasha's books - and also those by Frances Hodgson Burnett, and I'm glad I did - many are now way beyond my price range.
Pumpkin Moonshine is a particular favorite of mine - Sylvie Ann and her Grandpawp make one from the biggest pumpkin she can find. The text accompanying this page in the book reads:
"It was so very big Sylvie couldn't lift it. So instead she rolled it across the field, just the way you roll big snowballs in wintertime."
They finished him up in the evening and "put a lighted candle inside the pumpkin to make him look as fierce and horrid as all true Pumpkin Moonshines should."
Just one of Tasha's wonderful stories, and one of the sweetest little books ever!

No comments: