Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Cake Versus The Scale

First of all- I love these old Detecto hampers, wastebaskets, and scales, etc. I wouldn't mind having one of those old pink scales. It would fit right in to our vintage pink and blue bathroom. But I'd only use it if I knew it was accurate. I rather like my newer digital scale.

On another note - about that birthday cake I made on May 24th - I have a MAJOR sweet tooth, and since I am on Weight Watchers, I just can't bake very much, because it is just too tempting for me. But I needed to bake my husband's favorite cake. In the first photo, the butter is softened and ready to go:
Mixing up the first stage of the batter:
Ready to fold in the beaten egg whites:
Cooling the layers:
And, we're done. I only had one piece. Guess how many Weight Watchers points are in one slice? (1/16 of the cake):
15 Points!! So I used a lot of my Flex Points that day! If you don't know me, you have NO idea how much willpower it took for me to NOT have another piece. This has NEVER happened before.
But I have lost 34 pounds so far, and I want to see that number on the scale keep going DOWN.
I am trying, I am really, really trying. I'll keep you "posted".
P.S. He ate the last piece exactly one week after the cake was baked. The ONLY reason it lasted that long was because I didn't help him eat it!

6 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

You did very well just having one piece of that yummy looking cake. If I could award you with a 5 lb. loss I would do it. Keep it up (uh, or do I mean, keep it down? - that doesn't sound right somehow...) Love, T

yosemite faith said...

i am thrilled with your weight loss - i haven't at all - you go girl. and making-baking a cake for hubby was a challenge you met graciously. and annette i love you sense of humor - you always nail it.

Anthony said...

That cake DOES look yummy! Only one piece, huh? That is definitely willpower at work!
Congrats on your weight-loss! I recently did a medically supervised diet program (Lindora) and lost 32 lbs., but the hardest part has been maintaining that. It HAS to be a commitment for life, or you'll just end up back where you started. But I have no doubt that you will succeed. I mean, that cake sat in your house for a week and all you had was ONE piece! That really IS commitment!

Unknown said...

Heidi, you're awesome! It is so incredibly hard to make something that delectable and only have one piece!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Congratulations on your weight loss. That much success is great motivation. I know you will reach your goal. Are you exercising too? It really helps speed the process. Twyla

Heidi Ann said...

Hi Twyla! Yes - I had to start by taking baby steps, but I am doing 30 minutes a day on the treadmill - hoping to work up to longer!