Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Heritage Homes Of Petaluma 1988, Part I


Before I was married, Tina and I used to go on vacation together almost every year. We loved going over to the coast and to the wine country area. Petaluma was one of our favorite haunts, and in 1988 we were able to be there during the weekend of the Heritage Home Tour. I came across my tour brochure recently, and I also found the photos I took of the homes on the tour. We both LOVE old houses, and we were delighted to be able to tour all of these wonderful buildings. I'll show you the photo from the brochure and then my own photo or photos below each of them.
This home on Keller Street was described this way: "The spacious two-story Craftsman house is called either Brown Shingle or Western Stick Style"....

This home on D Street was built in 1890 by one Mr. Fairbanks, who in the famous Gold Rush of 1849 had mined the Mormon Mine on the American River (a Gold country connection!. He later became the founder of Petaluma Savings Bank and president of Golden Eagle Flour Mills:

This home on Keller St., described as a "two-story Neo-Classic Georgian Revival or a Colonial Revival Box", was built in 1902 for Judge John E. Cavanaugh. His father, who settled in Petaluma in 1857, founded Cavanaugh Lumber in 1867:

This home on Western Avenue was built in 1886. The brochure has it described this way: "It's Petaluma Vernacular style is a simplified Queen Anne cottage."


The remainder of the homes featured on this 1988 tour will be featured in Part II, coming up on Thursday.

3 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Wow! So great to see these pictures and relive one of our wonderful trips. I am not sure, but I think hubby and I stayed in the Fairbanks home on D Street a few years ago for our 25th anniversary. I remember the wraparound side porch which is separate from the front steps. I didn't realize I had been to it before, it was so long ago. 1988 wow. Thank you so much for this post, can't wait until the next one. Love T

Jennifer D said...

I love every one of them! Thanks for the tour.

yosemite faith said...

loved this - awaiting part 2! great post heidi.