Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Farewell Friend


A friend of mine died last week. I only know because it was in the paper. She had been living in Contra Costa county, but I didn't know that. The last time she moved, I never got her new address and we lost touch completely. She was 97 years old. Her husband died in 1992. When I was a waitress, they used to come in for a late afternoon dinner. We talked and got to know each other, and I believe they came to think of me as the daughter they never had ( they have one son). They invited me to their home for dinner. She gave me the little set of cookie cutters on the card in the photo. She had her cookie cutter collection on a huge door-sized display with the shapes outlined showing exactly where each one went. When they moved in to a senior living apartment , they GAVE me their piano! I had mentioned how I took lessons as a girl , and missed having a piano, and wished I could learn to play again. They were so sweet and generous to me, and I remember that when she would send cards, she always addressed them inside with "Heidi Dear". I loved that.
Janet Dear, I loved you . I will miss you, and I miss our friendship. I'm so sorry that we lost track of each other.

2 comments:

You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

I am sorry for your loss, Heidi. It is sad to lose a friend. Even when you have lost touch.

hugs..

Tina Dawn said...

Bless Janet for giving my sister her piano. I have always remembered her gift and how apropriate it was. I am so glad Heidi that you had access to a paper to let you know she had passed. Your blog is a lovely little obituary for her. Love your sister, Tina