Sunday, October 15, 2017

Potpourri Press Books By Irena Chalmers

I have a small collection of these fabulous little paperback cookbooks written by Irena Chalmers and published by Potpourri Press in Greensboro, North Carolina. All of mine were published during the years 1969-1977.
 This one, the only one that is NOT a cookbook, is the one that started it all for me,
 "Napkin Folding":
Here's one little bio and photo from the back cover of one of my books:
And here is another:
The first cookbook photo below, the "Cookie Book" is one that I do not have.
 I'm hoping to find it: I love the illustration on the cover:
I think I found nearly all of my others at thrift shops.
And I like the covers on all of them.
The next four volumes pictured here today all feature artwork by Bob Penny. 
"Crock-Pot Cookery":
"Lover's Dining":
"Cooking In Clay":
"Souffle Spectaculars":
"Wok And Tempura Cookery" was written with Barbara Farr and has drawings inside, also by Ms. Farr:

And "Crepes And Flaming Desserts" has cover artwork by Mr. Penny, with drawings inside done by Sara G. Skardon :
 In perusing these little cookbooks, I see a lot of recipes that I want to try.
Here's a Beef Stew recipe from "Crock-Pot Cookery":
 
 There are at least a half-dozen more that I do not have, but I'm still hoping to find them very inexpensively at thrift stores, rather than buying them on eBay.
Because I don't NEED them, you know?
 I'd just like to have them if I happen across them - and perhaps I will!

3 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Yum yum yum, you have a way of making me hungry when I read your posts! I have made stews in my crockpot, I just might have to try another one! Love T

Diane said...

Very cool! Hope you find the others in the series!

Unknown said...

The only one I still have is Quiche and Pie. Several wonderful recipes in that one, especially the mushroom quiche. I am making it now, and that lead me to Google “Potpourri Press”.