Thursday, October 19, 2017

The Old Mississippi House, Shaws Flat (Sonora) California

I found this original painting recently of the Mississippi House:
It's very nicely framed, but I was unable to find any information on the artist.
The signature appears to say "J. Canale".
I found some other images of it online; the postcard below gives a little bit of history about the place
I found this great photo with some information at malakoff.com:
Charles F. Surendorf , who had a gallery nearby in Columbia, painted it as well:
Another great old photo, here:
A good shot showing the old gas pumps:
When I found the Mississippi House painting, I also found this one:
I'm thinking that one may very well also be from a local site, but I have no way of knowing.
I love finding original paintings.
I actually sold the two you see below recently; they were in our booth at Mountain Treasures.
This pretty scene with deer at water's edge:
And this sweet little shed or barn:
And I'm always on the lookout for more of the same!

2 comments:

Diane said...

I love seeing original art too. Very nice!

Tina Dawn said...

This is a great post! I love the Mississippi House too! I wish it was still there. I have Mississippi House photos and info too. I will have to dig it all out now. I love your little painting! If you sell it I am interested! Love T