Saturday, November 29, 2008

Pyrex

The shoppers in the ad below from 1941 seem pretty excited about all of that Pyrex. I understand completely - I really like it, too! It is used in my kitchen every single day.
And I don't know about you, but my Thanksgiving pies were in Pyrex pie plates! (This ad is from 1948)
This Frigidaire Cycla-Matic refrigerator from 1952 has some Pyrex dishes inside ( and also some pretty Harker Cameoware):And this freezer from a story in 1959 sure is full. The article was about a lady and how she shops and freezes food for economy - good idea still today, of course! And she has a nice Pyrex Snowflake casserole in there. I like it:

As much as I love Pyrex, I don't actually collect the older , colorful dishes like all of the pretty ones
in the ad below. I do appreciate their beauty and usefulness, though.
I just don't have the space for another collection.
I love seeing the pictures of collections on other blogs, there are so many different colors and patterns! These sets are nice - so bright and cheery in the Daisy and Verde patterns:
But these dishes, below, are the types I have. In fact, right now our refrigerator is full of leftovers stored in a variety of Pyrex dishes - my favorites with the lids - the easiest way to store food in nice, stackable, see-through, dishwasher, microwave and freezer safe Pyrex. I love 'em!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I love my Pyrex! I do collect the old stuff, but only the solid colors and even then it has to be in great condition. I do use mine, but it's a bit of a pain because I can't put it in the dishwasher (ruins the finish). I used probably 7 Pyrex bowls before & during Thanksgiving dinner alone!

I also have a set like the last one you pictured. I love them! They were wedding gifts and they were probably one of the best things I received, as I've used them so often. I really love the 8x8 and 9x13 with lids! In fact, I was in Costco the other day and they have a huge set like that for not very much $$...I was wracking my brains to think if there's anyone I need a wedding gift for! LOL

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this post, and then got to the last picture and saw that wonderful Jadeite jar - I have one, and it's my favorite sale find of all time. I still get excited when I see somebody else with one (like a long-lost family member). Weird, I know.

Monica said...

you cannot go wrong with Pyrex!!! I love these ads!

Maison Douce said...

I still think there is nothing like Pyrex!!! I had a very successful party a couple of years ago and was allowed to get around $250 worth of products... It was better than Christmas!
Isabel

Tina Dawn said...

I love the measuring cups. See-through and so easy to use. I wish I had more storage, I have a few nice Pyrex casseroles but no room for a lot. Oh, and Barbara, I too have the Jadite jar. I love the tulip design. Great post as usual!Love T

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Gotta love Pyrex! As I was reading I was thrilled to see the ad for the 'Cinderella' set in blue. I have that! I was lucky enough to find the set at a garage sale years ago for 25 cents a bowl! Twyla

Heidi Ann said...

Barbara - I don't think that's weird at all! I do the same thing - see something on someone's blog, or anywhere really - TV or movie set, magazine - and I'm like - "I have that, too!!".

Anonymous said...

Love, Love, Love pyrex!! Those fridges are sure full! Whoa!

Celestial Charms said...

I have a large set of modern Pyrex, but would love to purchase some vintage. Growing up, we never used Pyrex...only Tupperware. I guess Tupperware was cheaper back in the 60's & 70's. Either that, or my Mom thought us kids would break them!

Anonymous said...

I want a fridge with roll out shelves! What a back saver! :>

Emily said...

Hi. I found your blog post on Pyrex ads via Pinterest. I know you posted this years ago, but I'm hoping you can help anyway. I work in a library that's planning a Pyrex exhibit for 2015 and we are currently trying to track down a copy of the second ad in your post (the one with the woman and the pie plate). Do you own it or know the source? Another scan of it I've seen shows the end of the name of the publication to be "Evening Post". I also know that the illustrator is Oskar Barshak for this series of 1948 ads, but I haven't gotten much farther than that. Any info you could provide would be really helpful! Thank you! :) davises@cmog.org