Thursday, January 6, 2011

VW's - Part Of The Family

I've been wanting for along time to write a post about Volkswagens and how they were such a part of the family for us during our growing-up years. I haven't been able to get together as many photos as I'd have liked, so I decided to just go ahead with what I've got, and maybe do another post later and/or fill in the details with some help from my sisters.
Daddy could and did buy bodies, chassis, parts and pieces and then fix up or put together an entire car. I have always thought that was remarkable. Here are the three of us Gold Country Girls - that's Lori, Tina and me from left to right:
And this is Tina and me:
Me, a Bug, and our beagle Yankee:

And this is me with my 1967 Beetle - yes, I provided the dents:
Another shot:
My caricature that was drawn at Disneyland in the 70's:
And I'll close with this , found at a yard sale last year:

Hopefully, we will have more pictures and/or posts to come in the future - Lori had a VW Bug, Mother had a 1971 Super Beetle and then two different Vans/Campers, Tina and her ex-husband had VW's, Tina had more than one Karmann Ghia- I could go on and on, but I think that's it for today.
(Except for comments from my sisters? Right, gals?)

7 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I don't want to leave my NOW husband out, we have had a VW bug too, and I also had a bug on my own before my two Ghias. I fell in love with Ghias as an adolescent because of Katherine's Ghia which lived in Gualala. I pulled out photos for you of our various VWs over a year ago and never got them to you, sorry. I guess maybe each of us should do a post, there is way too much to say about VWs than in a comment! Loved your photos, and its good to see Yankee once again, I didn't know we had a picture of her. Love this post, I could look at the photos again and again. Love T

Lorlore said...

Oh yes, I can do a post too, about VW's! So, to be continued........

Heidi Ann said...

Thanks, gals! It's settled then - more VW posts to come, with more pictures! Yippee!

joshinabox said...

very cool! love the pics. i have the one with all of you with the bus and bugs on my wall.

yosemite faith said...

love the first photo especially! glad to hear the gold country girls will be providing more vw posts!

Unknown said...

I Love those photos such lovely memories. When i was married to my boys father we had an old vintage beetle in inca green ours was lowered though and we had to have seat belts put in the back for Jake. We belonged to a VW club and had such great days and weekends away with the group. And when it wasnt breaking down and i was getting out to push it ha ha No actually that just added to its beauty and charm. Thanks for sharing your memories they took me back to. Happy new year to you. Dee x

The Elegant Thrifter said...

Thanks for all of your kind visits! We had a beetle when I was a kid -- a white 1969 model. That was the height of the Herbie the Lovebug era, and I remember going as a family to see one of the movies with my grandmother and parking in front of the cinema, feeling like we had arrived with a movie star!

Stan