Monday, June 28, 2010

Coca-Cola...And Flowers

Did I read that right, you may be asking?
Coca-Cola and flowers?
Huh?
What do those two have in common?
Well, it all started when I found the book below at a thrift store. Written by Laura Lee Burroughs and published by the Coca-Cola Company in 1941, "Flower Arranging, A Fascinating Hobby". I was intrigued.....
Especially with lovely photos of arrangements like this inside:

And afterward, I came across this advertisement in one of my old magazines. "Get this beautiful book", the ad coaxes - but wait, this is for Volume 1! Oh, why can't I find one that advertises the book that I found?

Ask, and you shall receive, right? I found one! For the very book that I have!
Enjoy your ice-cold Coca-Cola, and create some lovely flower arrangements to decorate your home, so that you can enjoy them together! Why not?
I was getting everything together after I had the idea for this post, and then, what do you suppose I found? You guessed it: another ad, for Volume 3 this time!

Now I have something else to search for, don't I?
Yes. of course I do - Volumes 1 and 3.
In the meantime, I think I'll relax - with a Caffeine Free Diet Coke.
Ahh, The Pause That Refreshes.

4 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

What a refreshing blog for a hot morning. Lovely lilies. My yellow lilies are all blooming like crazy. I don't have any Coca-Cola though. Hope you find your other two books. Love T

yosemite faith said...

amazing what products teamed up with certain things - like flower arranging. the search is on......

Anonymous said...

I noticed you could mail order the books from Coca Cola for 10 cents.
I admire this type of flower arranging. Not that I would even do it, I just like it.

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Was looking through some old Life magazines and some of the ads sort of make you say "Huh?"

Coke and flower arranging?

But what the heck, flowers are lovely, and I drink diet coke, so it's a smile all the way around!

Interesting you found all 3 "matching" ads. =)