Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Waltons

I was a HUGE fan of The Waltons. I watched it every week (insert theme song in your head here), and never missed an episode if I could possibly help it. I was delighted when this edition of "The Saturday Evening Post" came out with them on the cover. This is my copy, purchased back in 1973:

With me being a huge Norman Rockwell fan as well, I thought it was such a clever cover - a take-off , of course, of the famous "Freedom From Want" painting, part of Rockwell's "Four Freedoms" series. The artist's name is Robert Charles Howe, and he won a contest back then for being the artist whose paintings most closely resembled Mr. Rockwell's style. He met and spent time with Mr. Rockwell, and was so obviously greatly inspired by him.

There was a nice article inside about The Waltons, and the series creator, author Earl Hamner. Oh, it was SUCH a wonderful television series, full of warmth, and home and family, and life's lessons learned. I loved it so. Did you watch it, too? Did you love it?

I found this book at a thrift store for a quarter. Of course I had to buy it - right?

(Added on November 24th) I had been looking for this magazine article before I posted this - couldn't find it anywhere - and then today I finally came across it by accident! So I had to add these two pages - the beautiful women of The Waltons, from Good Housekeeping magazine, December 1977:
Judy Norton-Taylor, who played Mary Ellen (on the left in the picture above) is wearing a Gunne Sax dress. I love it!

And here is a shot of the entire Post cover - one of many Posts I have saved all these many years - mostly because they were still publishing articles featuring Rockwell and his works regularly, and I was a rather fanatical fan. I have written about him before here on our blog. Here's a full shot of the entire magazine cover. The magazine is too large to fit entirely on my scanner:

We here at Gold Country Girls are wishing you and John Boy and the whole clan a wonderful Thanksgiving week!

9 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I did watch it, not as regularly as you did, but I enjoyed it. A good friend of mine (back in the 70's) used to swear I looked just like Michael Learned. I thought she was pretty, so I guess it was a compliment. I don't look like her now though, she aged well and I didn't. ;-) I am glad she didn't have a bunch of face lifts and botox. The cover is great! I enjoy take-offs on famous paintings or photos. Love T

Candice said...

I loved "The Waltons" so much and never missed an episode. My favorite part was when John Boy said goodnight at the end. I have a friend who knows the girl who played Aimee Godsey. I also loved the original pilot/movie "The Homecoming". Did you know the movie and series were based on the film "Spencer's Mountain"?

yosemite faith said...

my dad loved norman rockwell and so do i. the theme song did start playing in my head even without your prompt!

Anonymous said...

If you get Inspiration channel on your cable, they air The Waltons. The Thanksgivng show will be on on Thanksgiving (of course). I LOVE The Waltons!

rel said...

I loved the Walton's and Rockwell as well; so thanks for this post!!!
Grandpa Walton's Christmas message has been as much a part of our family tradition from the inception of the Walton's Christmas LP as Bing and White Christmas.
I posted his message on my FB page today.
rel

Anonymous said...

I was addicted to the Waltons! I am from Germany and I watched every episode of The Waltons! I was sooo happy if I watched it! I had no real parents and The Waltons were for me like a familiy. Now, I have The Waltons on DVD. All the Best for you and thanks for your Blog.
Angelika

Jasmine Willis said...

I am a 17 year old highschool student who should've been born centuries ago my name is Jasmine. I love this show dearly it is so much more meaningful and heartwarming than any of the current shows on television. I think that if everyone was forced to watch one episode a week the world would be a better place. Another thing that I like about The Waltons is everyone back then appreciated little moments but this day and time those moments are dismissed as something small and insignificant. Lord do I wish the world would go back to taking the time to appreciate the simple ways of life.

Skinnertime said...

Hi Heidi. I just randomly came across your blog and love it! It's really great to find a blogger who captures all of my favorite passions: Thrifting, nostalgia, vintage and The Walton's. I'm a huge fan of that show!! In fact, what led me to you blog was an online search in which I'm trying to find a copy of the very magazine you feature at the top of your blog - The 1973 issue of The Saturday Evening Post featuring a depiction of The Walton's on the cover as a take-off of the painting by Normal Rockwell, "Freedom From Want." Thanks to your blog, I have a bit more information to go on in my search to locate and purchase my own collector's copy. I will definitely be visiting your blog again!

Anonymous said...

I watched the first episode of "The Waltons" in 1972 and I was hooked. I wouldn't miss an episode! In fact, every other activity came second. It was a show like none other. I loved the narration by Earl Hamner, Jr. His voice was so soothing, and I loved the wise comments at the end of every show. I still love the show and watch every rerun. I've watched the episodes so many times, I have much of the dialogue memorized!
I have a collection of Waltons memorabilia and I'd love to have the 1973 Saturday Evening Post to add to my collection. I was lucky enough to find all of the T.V. Guide publications that featured articles about The Waltons. I also have a doll, a board game, lunch box, and a book. I guess you'd call me a Walton's nut! I'm like you - very nostalgic and sentimental. I, too, feel like I was born in the wrong century. I long to be in the country, surrounded by a loving family ( which I do have), and a simple way of life. "The Waltons" depicted just that.