Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Lounge Chair Road Trip No. 14: Dunsmuir, California

Good morning. Tina here. 


One of the things I have always enjoyed about real road trips is going through Dunsmuir on the way up Interstate 5 on the way to Oregon.


 It is different now, you don't get to see as much of the town as you once did.


It is nice when we aren't in such a rush and can take the side road down into town and enjoy seeing the river.


Unfortunately, going north or coming home we are usually wanting to get there and don't take the time to sight see in Dunsmuir.


So I thought maybe I would do a little sight seeing from my lounge chair. I am not in a hurry today.


I love this little old town by the river and the mountains.


It gets lots of snow (well, compared to Kelsey) in the winter, that would be nice too.


And it is close to Mount Shasta, and much closer to the Shakespeare plays in Ashland than we are now!


Maybe someday I will just pack up and move into a cute little old house there.


You never know...


Just in case I do that and you want to visit, here is a map to help show you the way. I'll leave the light on for you.

3 comments:

Heidi Ann said...

Oh, I love Dunsmuir; it's such a great old railroad town.
I haven't been there in SO long! We were there back in July of 2000, and on that trip we rode the Shasta Sunset Dinner Train, boarding at McCloud, which is - sadly - no longer in operation. We actually preferred it to the Napa Valley Wine Train - it was THAT good!

Sunnyana said...

I go through Dunsmuir to and from my sister's all the time but never take the time to get off the freeway. Now that I've seen your pictures I'll have to check it out when I have a few extra minutes. I wonder if the older gas stations and the auto park cottages are still there. I do recognize the cafe building since it can be seen from the freeway. This was a good week for a Lounge Chair Road Trip since I-5 had snow. Thanks for sharing!

WhiskeyRiver said...

Oh,Oh!!
I used to live in Dunsmuir!! My parents were musicians,and my dad owned a body and fender shop on the other side of the river. When I was little in the 50's(I was born in 54),I saw my first movie in the movie house,..Bambi.I also saw my first live action film too.Becket.My parents would take me there,sit me down and pay the ushers to babysit me. I cherish the memories of living there.I also got my first portable radio. Seeing these photos just reminds me though some of them were of an earlier time then me. XD