Monday, January 4, 2010

Freestanding Fireplaces

Today is National Freestanding Fireplace Day.
I just now decided this all on my own - and if it's not, well then maybe it should be. Actually, this post is an anniversary present to my girlfriend over at
Mid Century Madness, simply because I thought she and her wonderful husband might enjoy it. These interior scenes are actually all from the sixties, though. I just thought they were cool. I like all of the different styles! From 1965:
1969:
'69 again:
These next three are all from 1968:



Um.. 1960-something:

Another unknown year (sorry):

I did a Google search, and I found some retro-looking examples that were much more interesting than others. Check this one out, too.
We have a nice fireplace in our living room (not one of these, though) and we have lived here 10 years and never used it. My husband says we won't because it is inefficient. We stay nice and cozy warm with our two kerosene heaters (the nearly 70-year-old furnace in the basement proved too inefficient, as well), but I sure wouldn't mind a nice fire occasionally. We would definitely need a visit from a chimney sweep if we ever decided to do it.
I know - maybe I'll give old Bert a call.
"Chim, chiminey, chim chiminey, chim chim cheree, when you're with a sweep you're in glad company.." Oh, who am I kidding? I just like the idea of entertaining Dick Van Dyke in my home, fire or no fire.
Love that man.

6 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I never realized how many different kinds there were! Bert would be impressed. A fire is lovely (we have a woodstove), but it is messy. Sometimes I wish we didn't have one. But we do have a lot of extra wood now since the "big snow", so that is a good thing. Great post. Happy anniversary Madam. Love T

yosemite faith said...

we have a wood stove too - a bit messy but i would not be without it. the family room is always warm and its where everyone ends up. sometimes it actually gets too hot in there! loved seeing all the different types.

Jennifer D said...

Oh, how I LOVE Mary Poppins references. I happen to be a Chimney Sweep. My husband and I own our own service company and we are often asked if we ever show up in costume and sing. We don't... we sweep hundreds of chimneys every year, we take it pretty seriously. I would like to wear Mary's hat though!

Your post made me laugh because we come across several of those types of fireplaces a day some days.We call them "Swedes" due to their Swedish style. I love that style.
My favorite places are the ones where they have kept the original 60's furniture and shag carpet. It is like walking into a time capsule. That is one of the best parts of my job.

If your fireplace has no woodstove in it, just a hole with a chimney going up, than it is inefficient. Burning those old fireplaces actually sucks heat up and out the chimney... a negative heat source.

I'm with ya on Dick Van Dyke.
A sweep is as luck as luck can be...

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Happy Anniversary to your friend! These fireplaces were great but not very commonplace in our part of the country. We now have one of those non efficient fireplaces too, but during the ice storm of '07, we sure appreciated it! Twyla

jamie@midcenturymania said...

Thank you Heidi for that lovely post. I love everyone of those fireplaces. And I still can't believe I missed this post back in January. I am going to go drool over those beauties now. Thank you again!

Heidi Ann said...

I'm happy that you finally read it! And you're welcome!! Love, H.