Tuesday, April 1, 2008

What's In That Sandwich?


I think those little handpainted wooden sandwich marker picks pictured above are just too stinkin' cute for words. Am I right, or am I right? I think I'm right. All of the items pictured in this post were actually found at antiques shops here locally. And still on the subject of sandwiches, the Skippy peanut butter lid, below, is from a jar that has a vintage decal of a red rose on it. Had to have that! (I'm actually a smooth peanut butter gal, myself. With grape jelly, on white bread - which I like occasionally because we didn't ever have it in the house growing up, Daddy bought Roman Meal wheat bread mostly - so white bread seems like sort of a treat to me!) I like to use old jars for storage because I just think they look nicer than something new. The Laura Scudder's (mayonnaise?) lid fits on a small (6 oz.or so) jar that now holds Dizzy's kitty treats. (Appropriate with it's little bird mascot, as Diz has been notoriously known as The Bird Murderer in the past, with evidence of his crimes strewn about the yard.) And I had always wanted one of the S/P sets with the tulip lids to go with a grease jar I already had, so when I found the salt shaker alone for a reasonable price, I decided to get it. Perhaps I'll find the pepper, too, one day.

Vintage, attractive, unusual, and useful. Yeah - that's the ticket!

3 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Okay, yum, Skippy Creamy Peanut Butter on either a toasted English Muffin or toasted Roman Meal bread or sour dough bread or any toasted anything for that matter! I want some now. I need to come over and help you look for that tulip pepper shaker. But I am going to eat my melty peanut butter first. Oh, and Luna the female bird murdurer says hi to her Cuz Diz. Love T

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Love peanut butter just by the spoon! Good to get the blood sugar back up to normal, too.

Cute sandwich picks and I do remember those as a kid. Sweet post!!

xo
Becky

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) said...

I love old consumer products/packaging, thanks for sharing the lids! Those sandwich picks are great too, it's neat that they've survived this long. :)