Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Pencil-User's Lament

I use pencils. Do you?
I use them all the time.
And I like to use pretty pencils (like those below by Vera Bradley).
And I do NOT like mechanical pencils. I just don't.
I don't mind sharpening pencils - in fact I found a nice vintage sharpener a while back at a thrift, and I'm perfectly fine with using that old one rather than an electric pencil sharpener.
As a matter of fact, I prefer it.
 And I also don't mind when my pencils get shorter and smaller as I use them down. Doesn't bother me a bit.
That's because I have a number of places where I keep pencils for regular - if not daily - use, and in some of those places, I NEED for them to be small to fit into the space where I like to keep them.
Do you know what else I DON'T like?
Useless, crappy, cheap pencil erasers that break after you use them a few times, or won't stay on the end of the pencil when you want to use them.
Pencil erasers like the ones you see below.
Yes, these colorful little culprits here:
I do not remember this being so much of an issue years ago -  like back when I was in school, you know?
As I recall, they at least lasted a good while BEFORE they broke - and they even managed to stay on the pencil, too.
 Gee, that's always nice.
So, of course, as is the case with so many things these days, they are made more cheaply - and that's why they don't last.
  I don't know if I even want to get into WHERE they are made. That may be a topic for another day.
I understand the whole "cheap" thing.
Sure, it's nice when things are inexpensive.
I mean, most pencils are pretty cheap, too, and sometimes the erasers that are on them are no good from the start.
I don't know about you, but when I erase something, I want it gone - not smeared nor smudged.
 I just want a pencil eraser that lasts - and actually works - and I would be willing to pay a fair amount more for them.
Is that too much to ask?
Perhaps, it is.
Surely I am not the only one who feels this way?
( And that, my friends, concludes this pencil-user's lament.
Oh - and I thank you, if you have read this far.)
I accidentally published this yesterday, when I was working on it for today. If you saw it already then, I'm sorry!

5 comments:

EM said...

I know the feeling. I teach math to adults trying to get their GED, so we go through a lot of erasers and they are really cheaply made these days. Much more likely to break off than wear down. For home use, I use a Hi-Polymer block eraser from Pentel. Lasts forever. Erases completely. I think they come three to a package at Staples. Costs a little more, but worth it.

Annette said...

There is nothing like a good #2 pencil with a good eraser. I love using a pencil. My handwriting is better when I use a pencil. And, I, too, get very irritated when an eraser blurs or slides. ARGH!!

Tami Von Zalez said...

I use a pencil. Cannot use a mechanical pencil - I push too hard and break the lead.

Gotta agree with you on the erasers too ~

Tina Dawn said...

I was going to suggest using the block erasers also. May not be as handy as one on a pencil, but a lot less frustrating! I especially hate when the eraser on the pencil is no good. Love T

Heidi Ann said...

Thanks, everybody.
I have block erasers.
And I do use them, and they're fine.
I just want to flip my pencil and use what's on the end, that's all.
Sigh.....