Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Mirrored Reflections, Circa the 70's

I found this picture in a magazine from 1973......
....and then I was going through some of my old photos, and I found this picture of me, taken by my boyfriend in 1974. (Do you see that I was already collecting antique postcards back then? Those are two on the table that are framed. And I started my collection of vintage vanity items/cosmetic jars back then, as well. I still have that great old mirror, too).
...and then I found ANOTHER picture of me, this one was taken 5 years later by my friend Carol:

I was wearing my Gunne Sax sun dress that Penny modeled for you back in this post.
I would have seen that picture at the top in Seventeen magazine, but I can't imagine that I would have remembered it.
I believe it was Carol's idea to take the shot that way though, not mine. We were at her house; she just was into taking photos with her new camera or something, as I recall. I wish the picture wasn't so dark. Many years later, I did buy a 1940's vintage vanity table with one of those big round mirrors similar to the one in the top picture.
Just "reflecting" on the past - that's all.

6 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I think you showed the picture of Mother at her vanity getting ready for the prom in this blog before too, didn't you? I have a few wonderful shots I took of my oldest granddaughter mirrored in a vanity mirror (she was under two), but I am not sure where they are right now. Her other grandma has one of those photos framed on her vanity, I guess my ex-dil gave it to her. Right around the early 70s I used to have a print that you could view either as a skeleton face or a lady sitting at a vanity. Do you remember that? This was really a great post. Love both those shots of you! Love T.

Heidi Ann said...

I DO remember the print you are talking about. It is titled "Vanity" - and is certainly an eerie image. I'm afraid i don't know the artist. I'll have to look it up.
No, I don't have a copy of that photo of Mother - I need one - I love that picture!!

Heidi Ann said...

I was wrong - the title is "All Is Vanity", and the artist's name is Charles Allan Gilbert.

yosemite faith said...

check out your shoes heidi!! woo hoo!

Heidi Ann said...

Faith - I still have those shoes! I think the sole is wood- all one piece, and maybe they were made in Italy.
I won't be wearing them again anytime soon.......
:)

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read the article. Thank you for it. I like such themes and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Hilary Simpson