Friday, July 17, 2015

Lounge Chair Road Trip No. 7: Twin Bridges on Highway 50

Good morning, Tina here. We are going to start a long weekend with a lounge chair road trip up to Twin Bridges. Last week we stopped at Fred's Place, and we are again on our way east to Tahoe. We have gone almost 20 miles and we decided we needed refreshments, so we have stopped at Twin Bridges to get a soda.


In our present day, this is another area like where Fred's Place was, a large spot off the highway. This place was torn down long after Fred's though, my husband delivered beer there in the 80's.


Behind the resort is a beautiful waterfall, Horsetail Falls, with a steep trail beside it which leads up into the Desolation Wilderness. I will do a post on Horsetail Falls on one of our road trips someday.


Twin Bridges can get quite a bit of snow, it is not far from Echo Summit.

It stood at a very large turn on the highway, and after you passed it you had a very steep stretch which overlooked Lover's Leap and you could look down at Strawberry far below.


Get out those snow shovels!


I have backpacked up the trail by the falls twice, once we ended up camping in the snow. It was beautiful and not really cold, because it was summer. I wish we had that much snow pack this year!


Visiting Twin Bridges, you are close to a lot of beautiful scenery and stupendous hikes.


I almost forgot I was still in my lounge chair, I was ready for a snowball fight!

2 comments:

Heidi Ann said...

It's always kind of sad to read about the old places that are gone, but really enjoy seeing the pictures!
Thank you for sharing them!

Anonymous said...

It has been a long time, but I believe the Building with the "Twin Bridges" neon sign burned down ?? I recall seeing it when I was very young driving to Southshore...What is the approx year of the fire ?? What is in this spot now ??