Tuesday, October 20, 2015

The Fat Cat Books

First of all, let me begin by saying that I have been working on collecting these fabulous vintage coloring books for a good long while  - WAY before the current adult coloring book craze or phase!
(I don't imagine you remember the posts I wrote back in 2008 and 2010 about the vintage Betty Schaffner book I've had since the late 1960's? If not, you may enjoy going back to read the first one and the second one.)
"The Fat Cat" series of books written by Karen Whyte and illustrated by Donna Sloan - which I find absolutely delightful, by the way - are from the 1970's.
I have only been able to find copies that have some pages inside which were colored back in the day by the  original owners.
We'll start off with "Fat Cat's Cookbook":
And we have three of the pages from inside, starting with a charming barnyard scene:
Bees and butterflies:
Exotic birds:
Here is "The Fat Cat Coloring and Limerick Book":
And a partially colored page from inside of that one:
And, last of all today, is this one - "Fat Cat's Craft And Coloring Book":
This one has some of the pages colored either completely or partially, as well:
Most of the colored ones inside the books that I own were done very neatly, which I appreciate very much!
I plan to finish the ones that weren't completed:
I think it will be fun!
I think the designs and artwork in these books is simply sensational.
I love them.
(These books were published by Troubador Press.)

3 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

These are great. I especially like the page in the Limerick book. Enjoy your coloring! Love T

Diane said...

Very, very cool! These books were ahead of their time. I like these designs better!

Anonymous said...

I have a copy and a few coloring did when I was a kid. I got the book whenbI treveled to Solvang, CA. I still have my book with a few pages colored.