Thursday, October 23, 2014

Margot Johnson's Vintage Zodiac Prints

I discovered this artist's fabulous prints some time ago.
Since today is October 23rd (and happens to also be my birthday!), we'll start with Scorpio here, and then go through the signs of the Zodiac from that point on:
I just found all of these images on the web, so I apologize for the poor quality of some of them.
Certainly, you can get the idea of how fantastic they are, at least.
Sagittarius:
Capricorn:
Aquarius:
Pisces:
Aries:
Taurus:
Gemini:
Cancer:
Leo:
Virgo:
Libra:
These were "Hand Decorated Designs by Margot Johnson Exclusive With Soovia Janis, Inc. New York City".
Perhaps you can see why I, with my ardent fascination lately with pretty much all things 1960's and 1970's, have fallen in love with her fabulous artwork.
I love them so much that I wish I had every single framed print and I could cover an entire wall with them!
Interestingly enough, it says "the scorpion loves beauty and art". Hmm....is it any wonder I'm a collector? Seriously?
(Actually, I'm "on the cusp".)
 But I still think that's interesting.

11 comments:

lorlore said...

Love them, so colorful!!!!!!!

Tina Dawn said...

Love them all dear sister. Happy birthday! Love T

Anonymous said...

Heidi Ho!! It's Kari! Happy Birthday!! I love all of these, especially the Cancer one, since I am a crabby m'self :-) In fact, I've been hankering to get another tat and I might use it for inspiration! I hope you're having a wonderful birthday - Love you love you love YOU!

Sheryl said...

Happy Birthday. I'm a Scorpio too but my birthday is in November.

Melanie said...

These are so neat. Happy Birthday! Hope you've had a great day!

Heidi Ann said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes!

Diane said...

Those are fabulous! Happy Birthday!!

EM said...

Happy belated birthday. I'm a Scorpio too (November 4). I never knew that about Scorpios and collecting. I love those images, especially the Leo. I've never seen a sweeter looking lion.

Cheryl Springer said...

I have the Virgo and my sister has the Leo. My mom purchased them back in the late 60’s and although mom has passed on, we discovered today that we both still have ours. It’s a cherished memory and priceless piece we have❤️

Unknown said...

Margot Johnson,a fabulous artist! I found the Sagittarius Zodiac one at my Church rummage sale, it is labeled Soovia Janis,Inc. New York City on the back. I bought it for my son (12,06,69) who did not care for it.I then researched Margot Johnson to find out I had scored a treasure.

Don't Mind Me... said...

My mom bought a couple of these back in probably 1970 or so. I was very young, so I didn't understand why the Cancer print was for both her and my dad (their birthdays were a week apart) and Capricorn for me - I felt left out.

While at my dad's this weekend, I saw the prints again and he gave me the Capricorn, which I've just hung in my apartment. After reading the details on the back and googling "Soovia Janis," I found this page. What a great collection of photos! These prints really captured the groovy, slightly trippy atmosphere of late 1960s New York