Monday, October 3, 2011

Found : Great Books For Halloween

I have found a few books at thrift stores and the Waste Management store lately that will be perfect to add to my little Halloween bookshelf. Alfred Hitchcock's Daring Detectives has some appropriately spooky illustrations by Arthur Shilstone inside, like the one you see above. Haunted house tour, anyone?
This copy of "The Wolves Of Willoughby Chase" by Joan Aiken, from 1962, caught my eye. I considered it an extra bonus that the artwork on the dust jacket is by Edward Gorey! I can't see nor hear his name without being reminded of Masterpiece Mystery on PBS - I LOVE the series! I have been thoroughly enjoying the Inspector Lewis episodes lately.

I'm always happy to add another "old" (1964) Scholastic book to my collection, like "Mystery Of The Silent Friends", by Robin Gottlieb:

And I think "Howling Mad" kind of speaks for itself:

I don't think I paid more than a quarter for any of these.
You know me - I cannot resist books!

5 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Looks like great spooky reading ahead. Love T

Unknown said...

I know they say 'never judge a book by its cover' but I love these covers, especially 'the wolves of willoughby chase' - that book terrified me when I was a kid.

yosemite faith said...

good finds. i am trying to get back to being online but i am finding it tough. i have a computer paper size box coming your way - if the stuff doesn't interest you - you can recycle it.

Debbie V. said...

Scholastic book club rocked my world in the 1950-60's!

keri said...

A great book to read for Halloween is Waking Hours by Lis Wiehl (of Fox News fame). Her book is set in East Salem, a fictitious town in upstate NY. The supernatural murder mystery story unfolds in the two weeks prior to Halloween, so it was really fun to read it during the last week! you can read the first chapter free at several online sellers or at http://liswiehlbooks.com