Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Would You Like to Swing on a Star? Listening to My Childhood Records

When I was a little girl, I played alone a lot, my sister Lori was born when I was three and a half, and Heidi when I was five, so I had a lot of solitary pursuits to keep me busy, including paperdolls and coloring books. 

One of my favorite things was playing my records, and I still have three that were my special picks.
The 'Syncopated Clock' is a top favorite.  I still love it.  On the back of the record sleeves many other songs were listed. I remember singing 'I'm a Little Tea Pot' and 'How Much is that Doggie in the Window?' over and over again, entertaining myself. And speaking of clocks, 'Grandfather's Clock' that sat too long on the shelf was always a fun song.
Notice that a Shirley Temple song made it into the line-up, 'On the Good Ship Lollipop'.  This was almost twenty years after she was in the movie, that little girl sure had some staying power!

' Toyland' was another favorite, and of course I knew 'Jesus Loves   Me' from Sunday School.


I

'Would you like to swing on a star?' I think they must have thought a little kid would be more interested in being a mule!  It does tend to capture your attention.


Some of the old nursery rhyme songs were more well known than others, I can't remember how 'The Three Little Kittens' went, but 'The Farmer in the Dell' and 'Old McDonald' are easy to sing.


Another top favorite that I could still listen to over and over is "Peter and the Wolf", which I think I still have somewhere around here. It was so much fun to learn the sounds of the different musical instruments.


How could I leave out the best of all: 'Tina the Ballerina'. They actually wrote a song with my name in it! Later when my little sister Heidi was born, that got topped, because they had a whole MOVIE about her. LOL.


Excuse me, I need to go pull out my 'record player' and get busy listening and singing along.

5 comments:

Heidi Ann said...

Oh, I LOVE those!!
What a wonderful, nostalgic post. I'm so glad you still have them!

Thimblehappy said...

How fortunate you are to still have these treasures. "Lost your mittens? You naughty kittens. Then you shall have no pie!" I thought that was so harsh (before I became a knitter).

This lovely post brought back good memories. ~Mary

Jill said...

Hope you had fun going back in time and listening to your classic records....

I have an old Christmas one that I have to play every year, records are so great!!

Rosie said...

This is such a great post! I thought I was the only one who lived in this private world! I loved spending time alone, listening to all my records! My older sister used to call me a dork, which I most certainly was, but I didn't care. I could still sing the "3 Little Kittens" song as soon as you mentioned it. :) Thanks for bringing back such sweet memories!

Unknown said...

Gee, I sang all the same songs. I sometimes still find myself singing them--often to my embarrassment. Imagine an old guy walking down a Main St Placerville sidewalk singing "I'm a Little Tea Pot."