Saturday, July 19, 2008

Betty Crocker's Cookbooks 1950's/60's

There are lots of other Betty Crocker cookbooks, of course - but this post is specifically about this series of smaller format spiral bound books. The Cook Book For Boys and Girls was first printed in 1957 - we grew up with this little book! We even used ideas out of this book for some of our 4-H demonstrations. It's my favorite. Good And Easy is from 1954.
Guide To Easy Entertaining, 1959, and Dinner For Two, 1958:
Betty Crocker's Party Cookbook, 1960, and Outdoor Cook Book, 1961:
And also the Cooking Calendar from 1962:
I think I have all of the ones in this series. The larger format spiral books were printed later - they're great too. These little books are just full of simple and practical recipes- and they're GOOD! I also like the illustrations and the color photos. There's a reason why Betty Crocker has been around so long!

7 comments:

Karen Jo said...

I love Betty Crocker cookbooks! If there are any special recipes you want to share, let me know! Love, Deb

Tina Dawn said...

I think it was the hot dog & cheese boats, or something like that you used for a demonstration? The sails were cheese? Am I close? These posts always make me hungry. All great cookbooks. Love T

Heidi Ann said...

They were Egg Salad Boats in hot dog buns, and you could make a little sail with a toothpick and a small triangle of American cheese. We made chocolate milkshakes to go with them, and our clever demonstration title was "Something To Munch For The Lunch Bunch"!

Anonymous said...

LOVE these!! I have several of the same ones - and I remember that you & your sis gave me one, too!

Tina Dawn said...

Now I remember them well. Makes me want an egg salad sandwich. Love T

Anonymous said...

can somebody PLEASE help me??? I have lost my Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook that my mother won as a door prize in l962. There was a recipe for Apple Dumplings in there that had a sauce you would pour in around the dumplings before baking them. HELP, I need that recipe in the worst way. Can anybody out there find that recipe for me??? Thanks so very much, Peggy

Heidi Ann said...

Peggy - I believe I have found that recipe for you. But I do not have your e-mail address. You can click on my See My Complete Profile page here on my blog and send me an e-mail with your address, I would be happy to e-mail this recipe to you!