Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mad Men On AMC


I must confess that I spent the better part of this past Sunday watching the marathon on AMC of the first season of Mad Men. Now, when I first heard about this show, I knew it sounded like something I would like, and yet I never watched a single episode. Partly I forgot, partly because it wasn't on 'til 10pm, partly because once I miss the first episode or two of a new show I say forget it, and partly because I sometimes feel I cannot allow myself to start watching anything new because I already watch too much television anyway! Well- it's summer, and most shows are repeats, and I couldn't resist. After the first seven minutes, I knew I really liked it. It's a great show - well-written, well-acted, well-directed, well-produced - I could go on and on. And I just might. The show is set (for now) in 1960. The set designers might be happy to know that I notice every detail - it must be wonderful to go to work every day and set the scenes for such a great period show! I've seen some things I have in my own home, and others I'd love to own.
So - that's it, I'm hooked. When I couldn't watch, I recorded it. From noon on Sunday until 1am Monday morning. I finished watching the recorded portion last night. It is a fabulous show. I have such a fascination with the whole advertising "game". From way back when Darrin Stephens worked for Larry Tate on Bewitched. I find all of it fascinating. I especially liked the scene in the last episode with the sales pitch to the Eastman-Kodak execs for their newest slide projector. I watched that scene four times. Wow. Really great. Now that's what I call fantastic television. And like I said - I'm lovin' the details. It must be a delight to be a part of the costume design team, as well. What a beautiful blue coat, worn here by January Jones as Betty Draper:
I can hardly wait for the second season premiere on Sunday the 27th!
I borrowed these pictures from their official website at http://www.amctv.com/originals/madmen. I hope they don't mind - since all I am offering here is praise! Thank you, AMC, for a job VERY well done- and thank you for the marathon. I am so glad I had the opportunity to get season one under my belt just in time for the next round!

7 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I always thought it would be a good show. Love T

Unknown said...

We are so excited for the new season to start! Such a great show - glad you are enjoying it too!

Anonymous said...

Ya know, I was gonna tell you about this show, but I know how you are about adding a new show to your "family." :-) I am glad you like it, and I will look foward to talking to you about it! The other show I love (despite what you may think of its story line) is "Swingtown". They do an excellent job of recreating the 70's and it's also a great show! Not at all what I was expecting.

Heidi Ann said...

Oh, that's so cool, Kari!! I am really happy to know that you are watching it, also. I definitely look forward to discussions with you about this fantastic show.

julie (jane's apron) said...

I LOVE this show...and you are right about the last episode with the kodak sales pitch...perfect.

Monica said...

I watched it origially for the fashions and sets but I wasnt thrilled, I was wanted more innocence I guess, I watched a lot of the marathon, I suppose I will watch the new one tomorrow....

Holly Hall said...

I was hooked from the very first episode!