Saturday, July 3, 2010

Summer Fun: Bathing (Suit) Beauties

Today's post features some bathing suited beauties from magazines and catalogs over the years.
Cute bikini From Holiday Magazine, 1953:

From another Holiday Magazine (1957) - um, nice hat:

Bathing suits out of Seventeen Magazine from Bobbie Brooks, circa 1970 - with Colleen Corby again on the right ( I swear I am going to devote a full post to her one of these days!):

These next two pictures are from Sears Spring and Summer Catalog, 1972, and there's Colleen again on the left....

....and in the green bikini here (she worked a LOT!):

I like that bright floral bikini on the left, above. (Sorry I don't know the names of the other models!)
And here are some examples of crocheted suits from McCall's Needlework and Crafts Magazine, circa 1971. The one with the matching skirt is pretty cute:
And here's another example, also from a McCall's Needlework & Crafts magazine, 1972:

We'll be having our usual hot summer weather soon, I just know it.
Sigh....wish I had a pool.

11 comments:

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

I think I have a trash can just like that hat lol..

Tina Dawn said...

I wish I had a pool too. I want one with the edge that would look like it disappears into the view above the river. Great suits. Good prices back then too! Love T

yosemite faith said...

john can't swim in lakes & rivers etc due to extreme allergy/sensitivity to algae in fresh water. oceans (salt water) & pools are ok. so i have always wanted a pool. tina i love those pools that disappears into the horizon of another water source!!! my mom used to get that mccalls mag. - loved it and the fact that it was oversized. great post.

Jennifer D said...

I think that hat in the second photo looks just like a bathroom wastebasket!

Great post... gotta love those retro bikinis.

Jill said...

Fun post! Love those vintage bikinis- so adorable!
Hey, I finally got over to Mountain Treasures today while visiting my parents in Sonora! I loved your booth-- I found two fun things I just couldn't live without (the pink/aqua floral tablecloth, and the Betty Crocker Outdoor Cookbook)! Your booth was so fun, and definitely my favorite!
Hugs,
Jill

Heidi Ann said...

So glad you all enjoyed the post, and
Jill - thank you so much for letting me know that you visited our booth! I'm delighted to hear that you liked it - and that you even found some "treasures"!
Thank you.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Wish I had the body for one of these great suits! We've had terrible heat and humidity lately. A pool would be so nice. Twyla

moonshinejunkyard said...

These are adorable! I love your blog, and I'm excited you found mine, miss gold country!

Paul Duca said...

I still can't really believe that first picture is from 1953...that bikini seems to cover less that the ones pictured from 20 years later.

Sonja said...

How nice of those gals in the 4th photo to take Little Red Riding Hood with them on an outing! Snicker. Great post!

Anonymous said...

Your site is really good and the posts are just wonderful. Thank you and keep doing your great work.