Tuesday, September 28, 2010

And Still More Thrift Finds

We had an orange enameled cast iron skillet either very similar to or the same as (I'm not sure) this one when we were growing up. I've always liked that old skillet, and I always hoped that maybe I would find one some day.
Well, look here! I DID find one!

And it even came with the lid! What you see underneath it is part of a big roll of wallpaper I got at the same thrift store:

The same week, I found a Vera napkin, a nice copy of Anne Of Green Gables (I didn't have one), and some candle holders I am planning to paint. Oh - and another pillar candle holder for my growing collection!

I also got a revolving spice rack that I think I'll use for sprinkles or glitter, a nice glass canister from a friend's yard sale, lovely little saucer for a dime, and the little chef spoon rest was in the free box at the Humane Society thrift store:

This is the type of find that I usually only see at antiques shops - a gorgeous deco style powder jar. Love it!

The recipe box on the left was actually from one of our favorite eBay sellers in Placerville - she will deliver our items to Lori at the yogurt shop so we can save the shipping charges (thanks, Jane!), the one on the right was 75c at a thrift store, and I got some free Martha Stewart Living and Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion magazines; the little rosebud and corn salt shakers were in the free box, also:

I found a yellow utility cart - the kind with an electrical outlet - at a yard sale; a nice, useful item:

All of the trinkets, pins and charms shown in the next three photos were in a big bag of miscellaneous stuff. There were a lot more items in the bag than what you see here, including some buttons:

Western-themed stuff:
The little copper dachsund pin is so cute!

Wanna hear the best part? That whole bag of stuff was in the free box, also!
I surely do LOVE the free box!

9 comments:

Lorlore said...

Cool stuff!!! Keep checking the free box!!!! Great charms!!

★Carol★ said...

All I ever see in the free box around here is plastic drink cups and coffee mugs! You sure had a great thrifty week. Love the recipe boxes and that powder jar!

Tina Dawn said...

I recently reread Anne of Green Gables for the upteenth time and also saw the movie last week. Love the skillet and lid and the powder jar. Love T

Sassy Lassies Vintage Life said...

I had to read Ann of Green Gables for an english class a few years ago and absolutely LOVED the book. I never would have read it otherwise.

Love all your stuff. Wondering where you put it all. I am in the middle of a move and feel as though I never want to buy another thing in my life, especially if I have to move again.

Recently I went to an estate sale and took some magazines and paper goods out of a FREE box. I found a real collectible amongst them and sold it for over $450.00 on ebay.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Very Cool Stuff! How much for the Deco Powder Jar. I am serious - I want it. PLEASE !!! LOL :-)

yosemite faith said...

i too love the art deco power jar. i love the utility cart -- those can be so pricey and hard to find when looking for a bargain on one.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Loved seeing your stuff! I have those exact same wood wall sconces that I have never hung up, just move them around thinking one day I'll do something with them. The pink and yellow recipe box has to be a very common one because I see them in all the antique stores around here and it is the same one my mom has. Love your Deco powder jar. Just beautiful! Twyla

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Loved seeing your stuff! I have those exact same wood wall sconces that I have never hung up, just move them around thinking one day I'll do something with them. The pink and yellow recipe box has to be a very common one because I see them in all the antique stores around here and it is the same one my mom has. Love your Deco powder jar. Just beautiful! Twyla

MoonDoggie said...

So jealous of the cart. I've been after something similar for a drinks trolley.