Thursday, September 9, 2010

Then And Now #69 Dennison Crepe Paper

I found this vintage package of navy blue Dennison crepe paper at The Salvation Army store. I'm guessing it's from maybe the 1930's?
Wow - if you had enough packages of it, just look at what you could do!
And I found this photo of some great-looking vintage packages somewhere on the internet - can't remember where now!

It came in a lot of colors:
This party book from 1949 belonged to my mother-in-law. I found it in the dining room buffet. I am sure she used it to make something for a holiday or bridge party back in the day:
Perhaps something with an Hawaiian theme:
Or an Asian theme?
Or maybe a lovely brunch setting, complete with waffle maker?

Things got a little crazier years down the road - just THINK what you might have been able to create with a little help from the mail-order brochure offered in this 1970 advertisement:

"Freak The World!"
And to think that all they used to want to do was have a simple and pleasant little party.
My, how times have changed.
Freak the world, people... freak the world.

2 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Love the little artist guy on the party pamphlet. My favorite crepe paper memory is our 7th grade class decorating at Gold Oak School in 1964 for the 8th grade graduation. It was held outside (no gym/cafeteria then) and we wove crepe paper up the railings of the stairs and hung them from rafters, etc. the day before. I think it might have been with green and gold colors, since those were the school colors. Then it rained overnight. What a colorful mess. Freak the world, indeed, I think we freaked the graduation! Love T

yosemite faith said...

wow what you could do - that would take a lot of crepe paper. cracks me up freak the world----who would have guessed that from dennison?