Friday, July 24, 2009

MAD Magazine

When we were growing up, Daddy either had a subscription to Mad magazine, or he bought it nearly every month at the store. We enjoyed reading it, too - and it was part of our childhood! I especially liked the take-offs on movies and TV shows, and "The Lighter Side Of..", and so many other regular features! I don't have any of the original magazines, but I did get these books:
....because they were the closest thing I could get! They are really great, actually - LOTS of content straight from the original magazine pages ( things that I even remember!) inside:

I had to have all three of them - not sure if there are any others, but I'm good with these three.
The "Mad Fold-In" pages at the back were another particular favorite of mine.
Do you remember them, too?
I must confess that the thing that inspired this post was the Chef Boyardee advertisement below. I've mentioned before how fascinated I am by advertising - old and new, either in print or on-screen - wherever.
(Sorry I did not do a perfect Fold-In job on this, but you get the idea.)
Clever, huh?

3 comments:

Mama Brook said...

My husband is OBSESSED with MAD. He has all the books they published and even has an Alfred E. Newman tattoo. Did I mention he was obsessed?

Anonymous said...

oh yeah - i had two older brothers and mad was a staple for him - i loved the fold ins. and of course we loved 'the usual gang of idiots' - did we identify with them or what?
oops forgot to sign in - yosemite faith

Tina Dawn said...

"Spy vs. Spy" was one of my favorites but I also loved the take off of the movies. I wish we had saved all the magazines. But selling our family home did in a lot of our first collecting skills. Love T