Friday, July 31, 2009

My Vintage Black Platforms

Well, here they are....

I mentioned this pair of shoes before in this post. Yes, these are the ones I wore back in high school. I found them!

And they were looking pretty bad, too. I didn't even think they were going to be salvageable - but they cleaned up quite nicely! They do need a visit to the cobbler shop downtown - their insoles curled up and came off long ago. I stuck some Dr. Scholl's "Sole Expressions" inside of them for now. I'm just not sure that I could even still WALK in them ! I was surprised that they still fit. They look a bit like these, from a 1939 advertisement to me.Well, kind of- if they were all black, and had the platform on the bottom?
And they're also similar to the brown ones in the ad below - which is actually from the 70's, at least the same era:
I still love those darned black shoes - but I don't really want to break my neck. I'm just not used to wearing shoes like that anymore!
You know how I am about parting with things, though....

5 comments:

yosemite faith said...

when i moved to california i gave away lots of shoes ( i still kept too many) and the ones i gave away are still a sore point for me. mainly my high school ones. boo hoo. orange patent leather, lavender patent leather, and a very cool purple suede that went with my green and purple jonathon logan mini dress that got me kicked out of math class ( i did not pass the 'on your knees and does your hemline hit the floor test). but is saved all the ones i bought at free spirit botique that had lots of stores in it and the hottest shoe store i have ever been to (then and now). good for you heidi for keeping your shoes!

jungle dream pagoda said...

The 70's doing the the 30's/40's is one of the bestie things about picking up shoes from that era,its like a 2 for 1!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Ohh, I bet you were cool in those! I think it's great that you still have them! I so remember platform shoes. I was scared of them back then, but my best friend had a pair that I still remember! Twyla

Anonymous said...

heidi, wear them someplace where you will be mostly sitting down, like out to dinner. they are so cute and will look great on you!
~karla

Anonymous said...

Cute cute cute!!!!!