Friday, July 31, 2009

My Vintage Black Platforms

Well, here they are....

I mentioned this pair of shoes before in this post. Yes, these are the ones I wore back in high school. I found them!

And they were looking pretty bad, too. I didn't even think they were going to be salvageable - but they cleaned up quite nicely! They do need a visit to the cobbler shop downtown - their insoles curled up and came off long ago. I stuck some Dr. Scholl's "Sole Expressions" inside of them for now. I'm just not sure that I could even still WALK in them ! I was surprised that they still fit. They look a bit like these, from a 1939 advertisement to me.Well, kind of- if they were all black, and had the platform on the bottom?
And they're also similar to the brown ones in the ad below - which is actually from the 70's, at least the same era:
I still love those darned black shoes - but I don't really want to break my neck. I'm just not used to wearing shoes like that anymore!
You know how I am about parting with things, though....

5 comments:

yosemite faith said...

when i moved to california i gave away lots of shoes ( i still kept too many) and the ones i gave away are still a sore point for me. mainly my high school ones. boo hoo. orange patent leather, lavender patent leather, and a very cool purple suede that went with my green and purple jonathon logan mini dress that got me kicked out of math class ( i did not pass the 'on your knees and does your hemline hit the floor test). but is saved all the ones i bought at free spirit botique that had lots of stores in it and the hottest shoe store i have ever been to (then and now). good for you heidi for keeping your shoes!

jungle dream pagoda said...

The 70's doing the the 30's/40's is one of the bestie things about picking up shoes from that era,its like a 2 for 1!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Ohh, I bet you were cool in those! I think it's great that you still have them! I so remember platform shoes. I was scared of them back then, but my best friend had a pair that I still remember! Twyla

polka dot rose said...

heidi, wear them someplace where you will be mostly sitting down, like out to dinner. they are so cute and will look great on you!
~karla

KariVery said...

Cute cute cute!!!!!