Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Then And Now #23 - Nabisco Crackers

Two kinds of Nabisco crackers today - Premium Saltines, as seen in this ad from 1959:
And the box as it appears today:
I remember taking Premium Saltines and making little "sandwiches" with butter, cheddar cheese and salami when I was maybe 12 or 13. Yeah - back then I wasn't concerned about fat and calories. Then again, this was only a very rare treat, I think Daddy only bought salami occasionally. It may have been a special New Year's Eve treat, I'm not sure.
Below, here's a cute little girl with her favorite crackers in this Ritz advertisement from 1953:
In this ad from 1956, the box looks much the same - and they show you many topping possibilities:
And, this year - they came out with these Snowflake crackers for the holidays. We don't usually buy these crackers , but I just thought they were so cute, I decided I'd get some and have them out on Christmas day for guests to snack on:
I have a fondness for these crackers because two of my favorite gentlemen have starred in Nabisco commercials - Andy Griffith and Regis Philbin. Remember Andy's? Everything tastes better when it sits on a Ritz. "Mmmmm...good cracker."
Regis likes to have them with strawberry jam for a late night snack. Snack on, Reege!

6 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Ah, nothing like a nice crisp saltine with Skippy creamy peanut butter on it. I am thinking maybe you made those salami sandwiches at New Years while I was busy eating the smoked baby oysters, wax peppers and triscuits. (Triscuits are still my favorite cracker). Ritz are good too, even just on their own, no since gilding the lily. No doubt about it, those carbo filled crackers are yummy. Love T

jungle dream pagoda said...

That little pig-tailed girl is sooo cute!
I LOVE but do not allow myself many good ol' Saltines!

Celestial Charms said...

There is nothing like good old saltines with soup to cheer oneself up. These were a regular staple at our home growing up. Ritz crackers were strickly used for the holidays as they were more expensive than regular saltines as we lived on a tight budget in the 1960's. I love to lick off the salt on the Ritz crackers and then let the rest of the Ritz melt in my mouth. Weird, yes I know!

Michele said...

Oooooo I love me some saltine crackers with butter (softened of course) on it....my mouth is watering now. We never got them very often...they were a rare treat!

Hugz,
Michele

Twyla and Lindsey said...

These saltine crackers are still one of my favorite snacks. We just happen to have a box of Ritz now too. Only because my husband wanted them, otherwise, they are too fattening. Delicious though! Twyla

Pearl said...

Ohhh Heidi Ann... Yes!! I sure do recall Andy's commercials and hearing him say that now-famous "line" ... ~smiles~ ... Just wanted to share with you about my lil cracker memories... both the same as yours... my Mom had the tall tin containers for Saltines 'n Ritz, with the lids ... and she always kept her crackers in them... now the very same tins sit in my kitchen, holding our crackers! My boys love knowing that they're the same containers I grew up with... Thanks for sparking a sweet memory with this post... God bless...

~hugs 'n prayers~

Pearl