Sunday, September 18, 2011

Apple Harvest Time

Last week, nearly every one of our local morning news programs featured a story about Apple Hill in Camino. They had reporters at the apple ranches, and they were showing all of the apples, apple goodies, fudge, etc. that you can buy when you visit.
I have shared with you a number of times that Apple Hill is one of my favorite areas. I have rather a sentimental attachment to the place.
As I often do whenever the fall season approaches, I have been longing to go there for a visit.

I think I may be able to make it over there in a couple of weeks.

Perhaps I will even wear my pretty little glass apple pendant that I got from my friend JoAnn.

Here is a recipe from an old Apple Hill brochure for a delectable apple cake:
Apple Hill Cake
Combine:
2 c. sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs
Add:
4 c. diced apples
Sift together:
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. baking soda
Add (flour mixture) to apple mixture.
Pour into a 9X13 greased baking pan.
Bake for 1 hour in a preheated 350 degree oven.
Serve hot, warm or cold, plain, frosted with whipped cream or ice cream.
"Easy as pie - or even easier than that!", she said with a wink and a smile. ;)
And a very happy apple harvest to YOU!

I made the cake last night. I substituted Splenda Sugar Blend for half the sugar, and used brown sugar for the other half. I used prune puree (baby food) in place of the oil, and organic whole wheat flour for half of the flour. I also used a bit more than 4 cups of apples. I would have used egg substitute, but I was out. It was done in 45-50 minutes, rather than an hour.
And it's REALLY good.

6 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I too love Apple Hill, but I mostly avoid it in the fall since there are so many visitors there at that time of year. The cake sounds yummy. Your vintage pictures are great. Love T

jamie@midcenturymania said...

My niece is there today looking at wedding venues. Hope she finds the perfect place. I'd love an excuse to visit that area again.

Heidi Ann said...

Oh, a wedding there would be wonderful!!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Thanks for the recipe! It sounds so good! Twyla

Tanyabell said...

cute necklace....now following :)

Heidi Ann said...

Welcome Tanyabell! Thank you for your comments, and for following our blog!