Monday, September 5, 2011

Jon Whitcomb, Illustrator Extraordinare


I love doing posts about artists I admire, and today, I am featuring Jon Whitcomb. All of the images I am posting here are ones that I found in vintage issues of McCall's magazines in my own collection.
He certainly had a lovely style:

I love looking at his artwork. When I saw this next one, it brought to mind the fact that "PanAm" starts on ABC on September 25th! While I am still upset about "Brothers And Sisters", I can't wait for this one.
Lots of pretty ladies:



If you haven't seen enough - and come on, I really don't think you have - click here to see a lot more of the gorgeous images he created during his extraordinary career.

9 comments:

★Carol★ said...

These are all really wonderful illustrations! Lately I've been buying the old magazines specifically for the great illustrations that I find in them. And I can't wait to watch Pan Am too!

Tina Dawn said...

I like his starry backgrounds. Never heard of Pan Am. I will have to look it up. Love T

Mary said...

Lovely pictures. Pan Am was Pan American Airlines, one of the biggest airlines and the most prestigious. It went out of business.

Jennifer D said...

I have never seen this artist! I love these illustrations!

So elegant. Just like that Pan Am show seems to be...I can't wait to see it.

Thanks for sharing

Sponge Curlers and Cupcakes said...

These are totally drool worthy. Of couse I've seen them through the years & loved them but never took note of the artist. Now that's a collection I'd sure love to have. I especially would love the one of Marilyn in the big white hat. Wow! Can't believe how educated I'm getting through these great blogs. And I thought I knew EVERYTHING! Hah - y'all humble me.

Sponge Curlers and Cupcakes said...

BTW - I can't wait to see Pan Am too & how they handle the whole retro thing. When I was young & beautiful & skinny that was my dream - to be a GLAMOROUS Pan Am "stewardess" & travel the world & meet exciting rich men. I had kids instead. (*snort*)

Paul Duca said...

Don't forget, Sponge Curlers...another aspect of being a stewardess in those days was the presumption of many men that she was of easy virtue, or to put it more bluntly, "airborne hooker".

And just how old IS Tina Dawn? If she's at least 30, I find it difficult to believe she didn't have even the slightest inkling of what Pan Am was.

Heidi Ann said...

Geez - Tina is over 30 - she meant she hadn't heard of the upcoming TV show I was talking about - not the airline. Yes, of course she knew what the airline was!

Tina Dawn said...

Thanks Heidi. I guess anyone who didn't understand my comment must really think I am clueless. I did look it up and it looks like a lot of fun, I love nostalgic TV shows. Love T