Friday, September 2, 2011

Models From The 70's - Susie Blakely

I have long intended to do a series of posts such as this one, featuring models mostly from the pages of Seventeen Magazine. So I am finally beginning today. When I was a teen myself, I LOVED Seventeen, and I think I must have spent hours reading and re-reading them. I admired so many of the models, and wished I could look like them and dress like them. So I will show you some of my favorite models, as seen in the advertisements and fashion layouts "back in the day".
I'll start with Susie Blakely, a gorgeous model who later became an actress. She has appeared in films and in numerous TV movies and series, including the mini-series "Rich Man, Poor Man" This first picture of her is from a Revlon ad:

And this one for Dial Soap:

Shire-Tex by Davenshire, Inc. is up next:

For Princess Gardner, of wallet fame:

Presto, you're beautiful - with Presto Electric Rollers (I think she's probably beautiful without them, too):

Another Revlon ad:

Clean Make-up from Cover Girl (which I happen to use myself):
An advertisement for Singer sewing machines - what a great gingham outfit!
And here, with Jennifer O'Neill in an ad for the Cotton Producer's Institute :
So that's it today for the beautiful Ms. Blakely, and there will be many more lovely models coming soon!

9 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Super post on a super model and I csn't wait to read about Cheryl Tiegs! Love T

Andy's Attic said...

This was fun! I love the Presto ad...that profile is to die for...
Annette

Anonymous said...

A long-time lurker here. I love your blog. This post really brought back the memories. I grew up with Seventeen and remember the names of all the models. Thank you for this series. It should be very interesting.

Mary said...

Oh, I'm really looking forward to a series like this. My favorite model was Colleen Corby.

Jennifer D said...

Wow such a lovely lady. You have brought back many memories of reading Seventeen when I was young...I loved it, especially the September issue! I bought a copy of Seventeen a few years ago hoping to feel that fabulous feeling again and the mag has changed so much it didn't excite me at all. It suits today's Seventeen year old not yesterday's, as it should. I am so glad you have old copies to share. ;0)

Heidi Ann said...

Oh, I'm so glad you all liked this! I am looking forward to the many other "Models" posts I am planning to work on.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Her face is one that I remember most! Twyla

Tomboy Phyl said...

Greetings from the East coast - Another longtime lurker who loves, loves, loves your blog...thank you for all the sweet memories that your posts keep conjuring up of my 1960's and '70's youth...such fond memories of reading Seventeen magazine (mid-70's) and I also remember reading American Girl magazine in the early 70's(Jayne Modean was a favorite model). I even remember having a year's subscription to "Barbie" magazine around 1971! I so wish I had saved those copies. Oh, for a time machine.

Anonymous said...

Loved reading Seventeen back in the 70s. I remember always seeing one popular model with shortish curly hair that I thought was so cute. Also, another pretty model with a Bottecelli look, Rosie something, she became Peter Max's girlfriend at one point. Wonder what they look like now. Susan Dey was a model I remember seeing in the sewing pattern books before she was on The Partridge Family.
The teen mags were so much more innocent than today's...miss that.