Thursday, September 17, 2009

California Songs

Even if you are not from California, you have probably heard this song - "California, Here I Come":
But how many of you are familiar with this one? "California" A Song of The Golden State:
Or this one? "Let The Rest Have Dixieland, I'll Take California For Mine"
I came across a box of antique sheet music I had forgotten I had a couple of weeks ago, and I was delighted to find these among the many great pieces inside. A friend had given me some things when she was cleaning out the home of an elderly neighbor/friend who had passed away. At the time, I didn't have any place to put them, and the box ended up way up high in a closet, stored away and forgotten.
Don't you love it when that happens?
(Dates on these pieces are 1) 1924, 2)1905, and 3)1918. Have I told you before how much I LOVE old sheet music? Maybe so.)
But, since I'm on the subject of California songs - I can't leave out this one (and I'm sure you all know it, too!): California Dreamin', by one of my all-time favorite groups, The Mamas And The Papas:
And I love this one, too Hotel California, by The Eagles:

There are others, of course - California Girls by The Beach Boys ...I could go on and on, but I won't.
Do you have a particular favorite? One that I didn't mention? Leave a comment and let me know!

7 comments:

Jennifer D said...

I had so much fun reading this one. I LOVE california... don't we just have it all? Deserts, praries, mountains,beaches...

Heidi Ann said...

We do, Jennifer - you know, we really do. And we even have Disneyland, too!! :) :)

yosemite faith said...

yup - yosemite & disneyland-lucky californians. my niece and i did not really see or know each other- i had moved from michigan to california. when my mom suffered her first heart attack and i returned suddenly-shana my niece was in grade school and was so impressed i lived in california. we bonded over swimming in lake michigan & singing together 'wish they all could be california girls' from the beach boys song. we are close to this day and i owe it to my moms illness and the beach boys and of course summer swimming in lake michigan. i knew when leaving california for michigan it would be a change but afterall i was born and raised in michigan. well i found that california was more than someplace i moved to-it had become home and a way of life. i miss it daily just as i missed michigan when i lived there.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I feel like I'm missing out! Maybe I'll get to visit California some day. Some other songs about California: California Here I Come, All the Gold in California, It Never Rains in Southern California, Heads Carolina, Tails California(by Jo Dee Messina) Have a nice weekend! Twyla

Tina Dawn said...

Twyla, you are great, you are a California Girl without having even been here! Thanks for the additional tunes. A great newer California song is "Oh California" by Claudia Russell, a very lovely folk singer I was lucky enough to hear and enjoy in Georgetown, California a couple of years ago. Love T

Anonymous said...

I am proud to tell that my 15yo son has learned to play "Hotel California" on his guitar! I love it! And I love that album. I wore it right out!

Chris Jepsen said...

What about our official state song (which few people actually know): I Love You California? It was published in 1913, with music by Alfred F. Frankenstein and lyrics by F. B. Silverwood.

You can download a version here...
www.gutenberg.org/etext/10414

And read the lyrics here...
www.bookrags.com/wiki/I_Love_You,_California

Another gem from the teens was, "It's Always Orange Day In California."