Saturday, September 7, 2013

"Bin" Digging

Lori and I ended up at a Goodwill Outlet store last week. We didn't realize until we walked in that it was the type of place where they roll out these big "bins" (if you want to call them that, they were not very deep) full of stuff, and you have to dig through them.
It was an "experience", and we almost walked back out after seeing what it was like in there. To be honest, Lori was ready to leave right away, but as soon as I found something I wanted, I figured "What the hell", and kept looking. There was a lot of crap, frankly, and a lot of broken stuff, and a lot of people digging through it all, too.
But I found the lovely little vintage angel ornament pictured at the top of this post, and I found this pretty little vintage evening bag, made in Italy, below - which I ended up carrying that evening to a wedding we attended:
I found this beaded dresser scarf-type thing. My pictures do not do it justice:
It has a ton of gorgeous beading and embellishment on it, and is rather heavy for it's size:
This tunic appears to be brand new; I bought it for re-sale:
The fabric has a batik look:
I got some pretty neck ties:
All of them are silk:
I found some vintage magazines:
And some vintage books:
This must have been the back cover of a (well-used) cookbook. I thought it would look neat on a shelf in a vintage kitchen, or hanging on the wall:
I also got this seriously chippy little spice rack:
That isn't all I found, either. There were other things that I didn't get photos of. You pay by the pound at these places. There were some bigger, heavier things I'd have considered if not for that fact.
Like I said, it was definitely an interesting experience. Not exactly my favorite kind of thrifting. But if you are willing to take the time to dig, I suppose it can pay off.


3 comments:

lorlore said...

It WAS an experience!!!! Wasn't into the diggin' or the crowd in there!!!!

Tina Dawn said...

I can tell by Lori's comment I wouldn't have done well in that store. Lori and I went to one like that in Santa Rosa once. It was icky and very dirty, but I did find some things. Love your little children's books you found. Good job. Love T

The Brittons said...

I've done some bin diggin myself... Ya gotta be in the right mood and have sanitizer afterwards, ha! Great finds!