Monday, August 3, 2009

Then And Now # 43 Spiral Notebooks

I'm a list-maker, note-taker, and record-keeper from way back. It's, well, just part of who I am, what I DO. I have used a LOT of notebooks over the years, and yes, you guessed it - I have kept them. But this first Spiral notebook, below wasn't mine. It was packed away with things that my mother-in-law had saved from when she was attending college at UC Berkeley in the 1930's. It certainly is the oldest one I have ever seen:
And this next one is mine. It is from either the late 60's or very early 70's, and I wrote down all kinds of things inside. A lot of it was about how I wanted my room to be. Even then, I was really into having beautiful surroundings, and in love with the idea of decorating, even though I didn't have the money to fulfill my dreams. This orange one is my absolute favorite. Why can't they still make them this pretty? Am I the only person who would buy them?
I also love this daisy one from the same time period:
The small notebooks at the top in the picture below were what I was using in the mid 70's to keep track of my work schedule, how many hours I worked and how much I made in tips each day. Also, little snippets about what I did that day - what movie my boyfriend took me to see, where my girlfriend and I went to lunch, stuff like that.
The two at the bottom (Mead's Fat Lil' Notebooks) are what I use now. I track my Weight Watchers points inside , what I eat each day - and, I'm proud to say, my ongoing weight loss! I have found these notebooks to extremely useful over the years.
I like 'em.

3 comments:

yosemite faith said...

isn't that cool to have that one from berkeley? yeah - i love spiral notebooks too - especially the little ones. how wonderful that you are still having success with weight watchers. you go girl!

Lorlore said...

Yes, I am so proud of both my sisters on their wonderfull success with weight loss!!!
I needed to loose less, but not working at it nearly as good as they are!! Oh well.......

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Heidi Ann, one of the things I enjoy about your blog is that you remind me of things that I grew up with. I so remember having these notebooks. There was just something fun about that beautiful empty notebook to fill with your own thoughts. I don't think I have many of mine anymore. Twyla