Saturday, December 18, 2010

Twinklers!

A little more nostalgia today. Did you have Twinklers on your tree when you were little? We had a few. And we loved them. I don't know what ever happened to them, but I have managed to find some of my own, and I'm delighted every time I do.

I found this picture in one of my books:

And this ad in one of my vintage magazines - from 1957:
And this is the box that held Twinklers , which I was lucky enough to find (I think there were six inside) in an antique shop in Yreka years ago:
We don't use C7 lights on our tree anymore, and Twinklers need the heat from light bulbs (or another source) in order for their little fans to spin - and Twinkle! So, this year, I put all of them on my little Martha Stewart "feather tree", and placed it in one of the warmest spots in the house, where the heat from our kerosene heater passes right by on it's way down the hall.
They're spinning like crazy this year!

6 comments:

Lorlore said...

The 'twinkle' tree looks beautiful!!!!

yosemite faith said...

no - twinkelrs are new to me. you lucky christmas goodies girl!

Vintage Freckles and Finds said...

I love the Twinklers! I have never seen this kind of thing before, thanks for sharing!!

farmlady said...

I don't remember these but how wonderful. That's amazing that you were able to get them to spin just by placing them near the heated air from you furnace. Good thinking.
Love the mid century look of them on that white tree.

Tina Dawn said...

Great idea, and I am glad your twinklers are getting some exercise! Above a woodstove or even high up on a window curtain usually works around here too. My super super vintage favorites! (I only wish they came in glow-in-the-dark!) Love T

Zootsuitmama said...

I can't believe I have never heard of these. They are awesome. Maybe I have come across them, but didn't know what they were. My grandma had the little foil reflectors. I finally found some of those and I love em! Zootsuitmama