Monday, February 9, 2009

Play Bridge?

Do you know how to play Bridge? Not me - I haven't a clue. But my mother-in-law did. And of course I found stuff here in the house. Cute little tablets for keeping score, and bridge tallies - like the one for Valentine's Day, below:
And Teddy Bears playing!
I just showed you some cards like these the other day - but here they are in their original cases, along with a couple pretty floral tally cards:
I figure that, when her friends met and played here at her house, she kept all of the tallies. My husband knew who most of the women were from their first names. When I only found one of a kind, I imagine she must have brought hers home when the bridge party was hosted elsewhere:
The ones with the palm trees on them appear to have been hand-made and hand-painted. Cool.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Makes me want to learn how to play bridge!!

yosemite faith said...

i resisted bridge for a long time. mainly because there are so many different ways to play it. johns folks were always taking classes on the different versions. i finally leaned when i moved to california and our best new friends gary and t decided to give it a try. john and gary were both good players and t and i were new to it. with a lot of patience and table talk we grew addicted. i even made a grand slam - once! that is why players keep their tallies - it is like football and baseball junkies know all the stats - well so do bridge players. i haven't played in ages but when i did it was a wonderful time.

Deanna said...

Heidi, I'm so excited...I went looking for tally cards and found some real cuties online. Now all I have to do is plead my case of wanting them to my husband! Yipes!
Wish me luck...and thanks for introducing me to those precious things!

Deanna :D

Anonymous said...

I just posted my one and only bridge card in the last week! ☺ Come see me sometime!

Tina Dawn said...

I love the handpainted one! I wonder if she played with Dana Sue. She was just across the street so maybe? She would have handpainted her cards, perhaps? Love T