Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Then And Now #77 - Cheerios

I was not able to find very many General Mills Cheerios ads in my collection of vintage magazines. First up is one from 1946. (They were too large for my scanner, so I had to take a photo - sorry for the poor quality.)
"A better breakfast makes housework fly!" Oh, really? So THAT'S the secret!

And here is an ad from 1956 - yes, the cover of the box had changed by then:

I found a coupon from 1971:

Golly, can you even believe it? All those years, we had only the one choice. Poor us.
Actually, I like plain old original Cheerios just fine, thank you very much. The box still looks rather similar - I like that:

I also happen to like all of the other varieties!
Nearly thirty years ago, when I used to babysit for my friend Patsy, her two adorable children would eat only Honey Nut Cheerios. Every single day:

Cinnamon Burst Cheerios are the newest type. We received a sample box with our newspapers recently. I love it when that happens:
Chocolate Cheerios!

MultiGrain Cheerios:

Fruity Cheerios:
Banana Nut Cheerios - I like mixing these with the chocolate flavor:
And Apple Cinnamon Cheerios:
When I said that I liked them all, I wasn't kidding. I have three different kinds on hand in my pantry right now - and I'm the only one in the house who eats them!
What's your favorite?

7 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

I like 1 cup plain old Cheerios with a banana and 1/2 cup non-fat milk. No sweetener. I haven't ever tried any of the other kinds. Chocolate sounds interesting. It is hard to find a good whole grain cereal that doesn't have some kind of sweetener. Does anyone know one that is just whole grain, like Cheerios, with no sweeteners or dried fruit or nuts added? I dislike the consistency of Grapenuts or Shredded Wheat. Picky, picky, I know, but breakfast is important and I want to enjoy it! Very interesting post. Love T

lorlore said...

I always liked the honey nut, but I did try the cinnamon and it was very good. To the plain ones, I had to add a little sugar. They are good for our heart, they say!!

MoonDoggie said...

I love the idea of the banana nut cheerios. Don't get them here (that I've noticed). I might try adding a banana like Tina mentioned above.

Candice said...

I like regular Cheerios with 1/2 banana and skim milk. Even 2% tastes sour to me.

I like the new header with the photo of all three gold country girls!

farmlady said...

My favorite is Honey Nut but I've always wanted to try the chocolate. I guess I could buy some for my grandchildren an then taste them while I'm down at their house. Yea! That's a plan.

Love all the pictures of the different kinds of Cheerios. Fun!

yosemite faith said...

when i was a kid all i would eat is cereal - that lasted until at least 4th grade maybe longer. i love it when you showcase old ads.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

This is so funny, we have a box of the chocolate Cheerios and we've snack on them all the time! They sure are good when you're craving something naughtier. Twyla