Monday, August 25, 2008

Dress Form Envy

I want a dress form SO badly! When I see all of the ones that are owned by other ladies out in blogland, I just go crazy.
(Above, the cover of the BH&G Sewing Book I found at a thrift store for $1. If I am going to attempt to sew, it could come in handy for a novice like myself.)
Take a gander at this lovely lady - this one is from a photo in Country Home Magazine taken at the home of Gayle Tweed, who either still is or once was a partner at the Stars Antique Mall in Portland, Or.:
Some day I will find her. I want to name her. I want to dress her up in vintage. I want to drape her with vintage beads and brooches and baubles and aprons and antique lace. The photo below is also from Country Home, taken in the home of Ludmil and Linda Marcov of Washington state. I want her to model clothing for me so that I can photograph her for my online sales.
I'm not much of a seamstress, so I doubt I'd use her for her original purpose. I don't think I'd want one that was MY size, anyway! I'd LOVE to have a gorgeous one like the ones sold by Shabby Fufu, but those are way out of my price range. I saw one in a shop a couple of weeks ago, but she was really thrashed. Even with the discount offered for cash, she would have cost $60, and I just couldn't do it. I would have if the condition hadn't been so poor. For now, I will keep dreaming, and keep looking and hoping!

8 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I'm with you, I want a dress form of my own. Lindsey has one and she participated in the 'show us your form' party that Shabby Scraps had, but I need one that I can dress. It's funny cause I was just checking in on French Garden House blog and seen one that is just gorgeous! Her name is Colette and she is a table top modle. You should go look at her. She is beautiful but I can't afford her. Have a good week! Twyla

Bella Della said...

I know what you mean. They look so neat on all the blogs I read. Of course, I am not much of a sewer so it would not make much sense :) It would be fun to dress her up!

Tina Dawn said...

She is out there, looking for you too. You will find each other. I would like one too for sewing, but dressing her up is a fun idea too. I did see one in Georgetown at a garage sale but it was too much to pay of course. Love T

Anonymous said...

Your post today left me thinking "I know her" I live a few blocks from Stars antique mall and am pretty sure Gayle is still one of the co-owners. Linda and Ludmil also used to live in the area and I used to attend their shows at Willows Nest all the time. They now live in Texas. Small world post! I hope you find your dress form someday.

Heidi Ann said...

Laurie - Thank you, I didn't know they had moved to Texas. To paraphrase the famous quote "All I know is what I read in my magazines!" You are lucky to live so close to Stars. Our cousins art studio is up the street from there, too.

Attic Clutter said...

Heidi Ann..
Oh I hear you on the dress form, I would just love one too..
Your post is darling..glad you came and told me about your WW experiences(:)& sisters too yea !! Love my sis am so glad I have one.. well dear.. I will add you to my fav's..
big hugs and good luck on the weight lose too (:)
Patty

Georgia Peachez said...

Just keep you eye out for the dress form. You will find one someday. Or you could buy the plain mannequin form like the ones that Shabby FuFu uses and embellish your own. That would be a fun project. I have one of Shabby FuFu's earlier decorated forms, she's not so flashy. Just covered in beautiful vintage fabric. xo, suzy

Monica said...

awww, I have one I got for free MANY years ago, I saw someone somewhere on blogland pin brooches all over it and it looked so pretty!!!