Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Jane Austen On Screen

Where the heck have I been?? This is embarrassing to admit, (so, why do it on a blog? Dunno- just crazy, I guess!) but I have never read a single one of Jane Austen's novels. Nor had I ever seen any of the film adaptations until fairly recently. I know. I have no flimsy excuses, merely statements of fact. But - when PBS had the whole Jane Austen series on Masterpiece, I either watched and/or taped them all. And yes, I LOVED them! Especially this one:
I've had this little Bantam paperback for many years. Why didn't I read it?
I even bought this lovely hardbound copy from 1945 with it's beautiful color illustrations inside:
When my sister was visiting in June, we sat and watched both the PBS version of "Emma" and the Gwyneth Paltrow version in the same evening! And then, most recently, I watched the "Sense and Sensibility" from PBS Masterpiece that I had recorded. And I just got this one the other day:
I'll be watching it as soon as I can. And I want to see every other adaptation that I haven't yet seen. And I will be reading the books, too. I promise.
Please don't tell anyone. Like I said, I'm kind of embarrassed.

5 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

You will love them. I love to read. I love it even more than watching movies or TV. You can do it whenever you like and your imagination can make any scenery or person look like whatever you want it to look like. Think of all the books that are available for you to read. I just ordered "The Girl with Something Extra" book. I bet it will be fun to read. Couldn't find the movie on tape or DVD. But found a book. Read Read Read my sister! Love T

Twyla and Lindsey said...

That's interesting! Lindsey just watched Becoming Jane last Sat. night. She liked it. Twyla

Heidi Ann said...

I want to see that, too. I want to see everything by or about her!

Tina Dawn said...

Heidi Ann, I just got the DVD of Becoming Jane. So you can borrow it. Love T

Anonymous said...

Which Emma did you like better?