Sunday, August 31, 2008

Then And Now #9 Betty Crocker Mixes

So, let's look at a couple of ads for Betty Crocker mixes that I believe are now obsolete. Glamour Desserts! Here are mixes for meringue and cream puffs from 1958:
The Question: "Where can I get (almost) everything I need to bake a cake in one box?". The Answer: Betty's Answer Cake! "Just look at how much fun you can have!" I'll say! (from 1956)
And now - one of the most recent additions to the Betty Crocker line of mixes from General Foods - Cupcake Mix! And the box is even pretty cute:
I actually prefer to make cakes from scratch (I rarely dare because I would eat almost the whole thing, and that's never good), but I bought this mix because I saw a cobbler recipe somewhere on a blog that called for Jiffy Cake Mix and they didn't have it at my store. This cupcake mix is nearly the same size in weight as that mix, so I thought I'd try it instead. Well, I never did make it and now I don't remember where the recipe was, and, anyway, I'm afraid to make it now because - you got it - I'm afraid I would eat almost the whole thing myself. Trying not to do that kind of stuff. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I'm trying to figure out why they need a cupcake mix instead of just making cupcakes out of a regular cake mix. I guess because it is smaller. When it comes to cupcakes, more is better! Glamour desserts -too funny! I suppose you would make them while wearing high heels. Twyla

Tina Dawn said...

Yum. You could have made them when we were there and we would have helped you eat them! Bad for us, good for you. Love T