Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Windmill Dishes

My windmill dishes are by Universal Cambridge. This windmill design was one in their Camwood Ivory line. Some are trimmed in blue, others in 22 carat gold. I love the design. The colors can vary just a bit due to use and/or fading, but on the best examples the clouds are a lovely aqua and the water a deep, rich blue. This is from the center of a small dinner plate:
My very first piece, and the beginning of my windmill collecting madness, was a large serving platter I found in 1975 at a rummage sale in the basement of the Lutheran Church in Placerville. It was sitting there on a table with 3 fabulous huge garden-fresh Beefsteak tomatoes on top. There was a sticker that said 50c. I would have paid that for just the tomatoes! So, I timidly asked if that was for the tomatoes or the platter. And the nice lady said - "Both". Sold! I've never tired of this pattern since that day. This is the lid from a covered bowl:
These next two pictures are from a desperation style I like to call FitEverySingleDishYouPossiblyCanIntoYourHutch. The left side:
and the right side:
And , when I couldn't possibly fit another piece in, what did I do? Why, I bought more, of course, and they went in various places I like to call WhereverTheHeckElseYouCanFitThemIn. Yep, that's how we roll.

9 comments:

Karen Jo said...

I love how you roll!

Bella Della said...

I love these dishes! And I love your style! Now I know what to call it!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Yep, that's how we roll too! I am so stinkin' jealous of this collection! I've been telling Lindsey you have to come here and look at these! In true best daughter style she said, 'We'll look for you some on ebay.' You just do have the best collections! Don't you just hate it when people say 'I love it but I don't have any place to put it.' Like That has anything to do with it at all! You are an inspiration. Twyla

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) said...

I love your dish collection... I have a little collection of Dutch 'knick knacks' I started when I moved to Chicago-- mainly vintage clog figurines made out of wood and delft china and little toy wooden windmills. :)

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

What a lovely collection!
Kisses Debbie Moss

(FROM ENGLAND)

Tina Dawn said...

I've always loved your Windmill dishes. It's so fun when I find a piece for you. Love T

Barbara said...

And eventually they'll end up in IKnowIPutThatSomewhere - if your house is anything like mine! These are wonderful dishes - and so many!

Ruth said...

Love this collection! I collect a different vintage windmill dinnerware and have been obsessed with it for 11 years now. I'd send a photo to you if I knew how on here!

Blessings,
Ruth from Texas

Anonymous said...

Where are you located? I have a BUNCH I’m getting rid of. Too many to ship but any chance you are in the Nashville area?