Monday, October 4, 2010

Then And Now #71 Bon Ami

Today's "Then and Now" is all about Bon Ami Cleanser. This absolutely adorable little booklet from 1926 was packed away with some of Mother's things:
The cutest little story about the Bon Ami chick! You know - he's the one that "Hasn't scratched yet".


And some vintage advertisements -this one from 1938:

1941:
Her's a photo of one of the old tins:

1942:

1956:

They make dish soap now, too:

And "Now" - the can on the left is the newest, purchased just a couple of days ago - and the one on the right is the way it looked last time we bought one!

Looks like they have decided to go with a more old fashioned design, similar to the vintage ones I've shown in the old advertisements. You can see that the product name is in a more modern-looking font than on the old packaging, and the old little "Hasn't Scratched Yet" chick is back again, and this time he is featured more prominently.
I like it.

6 comments:

marble rose said...

What a great post - thank you. I love old children's books - interesting how they advertised back then - and very interesting that they have chosen to go retro on packaging now. Oh and I do indeed cry when I see my sink - - - regularly.

Fleur
xxx

★Carol★ said...

I had a little obsession going with Bon Ami back in the 90s, when I was a bigtime chicken and rooster collector! I think I have to have a bottle of that dish soap sitting on my counter. Oh dear, the obsession continues....

yosemite faith said...

i love that little booklet you found and i like the 'new' packaging a lot.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this link, but unfortunately it seems to be down... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at goldcountrygirls.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Mark

Tina Dawn said...

I think the "older" new can was too full of information, almost too much for the person looking to buy it, it is good they went back to simplicity. Great little booklet. Our mom had such great collecting taste. Love T

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Love the little booklet! They did wonderful ads! Twyla