Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Nick Reynolds of The Kingston Trio


Sometimes, I get really behind in my newspaper reading. I just read that Nick Reynolds died on October 1st. He's the one at the bottom in the picture above. Yes, he was the short one - and got teased about it!
Nick Reynolds, Dave Guard and Bob Shane made such beautiful music together. We listened to their fabulous Christmas album every year when we were growing up, and I am grateful to our parents for introducing us to their music.

I still love it just as much today - and I always will. So sorry that Nick is gone. What a cutie.

4 comments:

Tina Dawn said...

Oh, I didn't know about his death either. I still listen to the Christmas album at least five times each Christmas season. I love it. Especially "All Through the Night". Thanks for remembering Nick Reynolds in this great blog. Love T

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Staen Island. I'm a banjo picker and tenor guitar player ( Mr. Reynolds played one.) I too love the Christmas album. Like all their other work it was a mix of sources with Portugese based song , an original, an Old English carol etc. I guess that's why I don't play just Bluegrass but also relish a good Calypso number. I join you in Memorial to Nick, Dave Guard and John Stewart members all of a unique group. Jim Clarkbeowulf

Heidi Ann said...

Thanks for commenting, Jim. Wish I could hear you play the banjo - I love the sound! And yes, their Christmas album is one of the all-time greats!

Dave said...

Heidi - Wow, do I remember these, especially the red-background album cover in the middle. My folks constantly played their albums - they were an important part of the soundtrack of my childhood. When Dave Guard left the group in the early 60's, he was replaced by John Stewart, who was every bit as talented in my opinion. He passed away earlier this year. Glenn Yarbrough was another folk favorite of ours.